Sunday, September 29, 2013

First Hunt of the 2013 Season - Father and Son Time!

My oldest son is still young but he begs me to tag along each duck season. For the past couple of years I've made a point to pick a dry day in the beginning of the season to take him out. 


The forecast was for rain, but it held off long enough for us to get out for a couple of hours. It was a nice gentle start to the season and he had a great time. Not only did he have a duck to play with while we waited for more, but he found a lost decoy and a dead seagull on the hike back. He was in heaven. 


We shot two green wing teal, but lost one to an eagle. It's a common occurrence up here and to be expected but my son was more than a little concerned. He screamed at the swooping bird with a level of anger I've rarely seen in him. "BAD EAGLE!!!", the veins bulging in his neck and face. I laughed and tried to calm him and help him to understand that it wasn't the eagle's fault and we would shoot many more birds in the days and weeks to come. He shared with me what he thought was a proper fate for that eagle and we discussed what federal law would have to say about that action and moved on to looking for more teal.


It was great to be out in the blind with my son and wonderful to see how much he's grown and matured in the past year. I'm so blessed to have an activity that we both love so much and I hope that I can share this with him and my other children for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff. Love spending time with my kids chasing deer, turkey and waterfowl. Problem now is they are older and out shoot me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! When they are big enough to start out shooting you, that's when you make them carry more more of your gear! Lol!

      Delete